Triple-Chocolate Pudding Pie
For the crust:
- 9 whole chocolate graham crackers
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
For the filling:
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 1/2 cups half and half
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3 1/2 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the toppings:
- 1 cup chilled whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- white and milk chocolate chips, optional, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Finely grind graham crackers, sugar, and salt in processor. Add butter and blend to moisten crumbs. Firmly press mixture into 9-inch-diameter glass pie dish. (Alternately, press crumbs evenly into ramekins or mini tart pans for individual servings.) Bake until crust sets, about 8 minutes. Cool.
- Whisk sugar, cocoa, and cornstarch in heavy medium saucepan. Gradually whisk in 1 cup half and half. Whisk in remaining 2 1/2 cups half and half and yolks. Whisk over medium-high heat until mixture thickens and boils, whisking constantly, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat. Add both chocolates and butter; whisk until melted and smooth. Mix in vanilla. Transfer filling to crust. Press plastic wrap directly onto surface of filling and chill until filling sets, at least 6 hours. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Keep chilled.)
- Beat the chilled whipping cream and powdered sugar in large bowl until soft to medium peaks form.
- Peel plastic off pie. Cut pie into wedges. Spoon dollop of cream atop each slice. Garnish with the chocolate chips.