Roasted Garlic and White Bean Lasagna Soup Recipe
For the Lasagna Soup:
- 8 cloves garlic (for roasting)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 28-ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 14-ounce cans white beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 ounces campanile pasta
For the Ricotta Dollops:
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- minced fresh parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh basil leaves, torn
- Drizzle the garlic with a tiny bit of olive oil and wrap with foil. Roast for 30 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook until softened, about 6 minutes. Add oregano, red pepper flakes, and tomato paste and stir well to incorporate. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, bay leaves, chicken broth, and salt. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add white beans. Take a few scoops (about one third) of the soup mixture at this point and puree in the blender with the roasted garlic.
- Add uncooked pasta and simmer on low until pasta is just softened. Taste and adjust (more salt, more red pepper flakes, more basil, etc.)
- In a small bowl, combine the ricotta, Parmesan, lemon juice, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Place a dollop of the ricotta mixture in each soup bowl and ladle the soup over the top. Top with extra Parm and fresh basil. YUM!