Classic Sausage Gravy for Biscuits and Gravy Recipe
- 1 pound ground sausage (I prefer to use spicy sausage, but use mild if you prefer)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 quart (4 cups) whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper, more to taste
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, minced (optional)
- In a large pan, brown the sausage over medium-high heat until no longer pink. If there is quite a lot of fat in the pan after browning the sausage, spoon some of it off.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and sprinkle the flour on top of the sausage. Stir the sausage and flour until the flour is absorbed. Cook for about 2 minutes to cook of the raw flour taste. Slowly stream in the milk while stirring constantly until all of the milk is in the pan.
- At this point the gravy will seem very thin. Continue cooking it, stirring frequently, until it thickens. About 8-10 minutes. Add in the salt and pepper and taste and adjust. Classic gravy is very heavy on black pepper.
- If using, stir in the chopped thyme right before serving.
- Spoon over hot biscuits!