Basic Chocolate Truffle Recipe
- 8 oz bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate
- 4 oz (1/2 cup) heavy cream (also known as double cream)
- large pinch of salt (optional but recommended)
- cocoa powder for rolling or any other toppings you desire
- Chop your chocolate into small pieces and place in a bowl.
- Put your cream in a saucepan and place over medium heat. Allow cream to heat until simmering and almost boiling.
- Pour the hot cream over the chopped chocolate and let stand for about 3 minutes. Add your salt into the bowl at this point if using.
- Put your whisking to the center of the chocolate cream mixture and begin whisking in small circles going in one direction and slowly moving outward until the mixture is smooth.
- Place the ganache in the refrigerator uncovered until the mixture becomes solid, about 1 hour, before scooping and shaping.
- Scoop small amounts of ganache, about 2 TBSP or less, roll between your palms, and roll in toppings. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 1 week.